Friday, April 2, 2010

And Away We Go!

This blog has been a long time coming. Seriously.

I’ve always loved writing, but a year or two ago I started getting sidetracked by other things going on in life. So I decided that I was going to start a blog in order to get back to writing. But I got sidetracked. Sometimes it was for healthy aspects of life, sometimes not so much (Nothing illegal, mind you. But sometimes I think that gaming and TV can be just as addictive as any drug). I made excuses, I got lazy, I got involved doing other things, and the blog didn’t happen. I got sidetracked.

I turned 35 last summer. It’s one of those birthdays that has significance solely for the fact that it’s a year that’s a multiple of five. But regardless of the significance, it got me thinking. When I was in college and pictured myself at age 35…well…let’s just say that I live a very different life than what I pictured. Not necessarily bad…just different. But as a result of noticing that disconnect, I started cataloging the things that I want to do to improve my life and accomplish within my life. It’s a significant list. Initially, I didn’t handle it well. It was absolutely overwhelming. And instead of inspiring me to action, it froze me. And when life handed me a few more obstacles early this year, it left me utterly lost.

Within the past couple months, I’ve come to the conclusion that I needed to divide that significant list into two columns: things completely within my control, and things not completely within my control. I found that I could attack column A. And once I realized that it’s impossible to get everything done immediately, I stopped thinking and started doing. Nothing huge, but the small steps are nice. I’m becoming more organized. I’m exercising. I’m involved in groups that I care about. I’m working on some projects I’ve been procrastinating for months or years. And look—I have a blog (naming it was a story in itself, but I’ll save that for another post)!

I can’t say for certain what you’ll see coming up on this page. I can’t say for certain how often you’ll see it. But for me, it’s a small step toward crossing more things off the list. And hopefully, there will be less of me getting sidetracked.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on making this big step. I LOVE blogging. It has opened up a whole new part of me. I can't wait to follow you! I hold a soft spot for you in my heart always!

    ReplyDelete