Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Whistling in the Dark

There's only one thing that I know how to do well
And I've often been told that you can only do
What you know how to do well
And that's be you,
Be what you're like,
Be like yourself,
And so I'm having a wonderful time but I'd rather be whistling in the dark
(Whistling in the Dark, They Might be Giants - 1990)

Who knew that song such had such depth as to spark deep thoughts? There will be no whistling in the dark for me, but there are some basic facts about myself that I need to face as they relate to blogging if I want to be what I'm like and be like myself:

1) I'm not always deep. I remember the papers in school where you needed to have an introduction with a thesis statement, a body of the paper with facts to support the thesis, and a conclusion to sum everything up. It provides a structure that doesn't always exist in life. Since the blog is a reflection of my life, I need to face the fact I'm not always going to have the deep, meaningful conclusion. Sometimes things just happen that will be fun or freeing to write about. And that's ok.

2) I'm not consistent. Boy, don't I know it. Some days I have things to say, some days I don't. And until somebody is paying me to write blog entries, it really shouldn't matter.

3) I'm not perfect and I never will be. I'm sure that's as much of a shock for you to read as it was for me to realize and write. But waiting for myself to write the perfect entry before I publish won't get me anywhere.

4) I love writing. I've always loved writing. And I like to think I'm pretty darn good at it, if I may say so myself. It's a good way to work out issues and a good, creative release of energy for me. So provided I can give myself permission to accept facts #1, #2 and #3, fact #4 becomes the most important.

1 comment:

  1. You are pretty darn good at writing. Glad to have you back. :-)

    ReplyDelete